Bike trailers are used for different purposes. The most commonly used trailers are for cargo, pets, and children. Kidsbikeadvisor, in this article, gives you information on bike trailers for kids. After reading through this piece of information, you should be able to choose the right trailer for your child.
In this article, you will read about:
- Knowing about Bike Trailer for Kids: Quick Facts
- TIPS to choose Best Bike Trailer for Kids
- Our Top Bike Trailer Picks for Kids: Single and Double Seat Bike Trailers
Knowing about Bike Trailer for Kids: Quick Facts
- Bike trailers are also known as carts. You can have your child sit in it and ride along with you.
- It comes with little wheels hitched to your bike or the bike’s frame and it is much safer for your child than a front-fitted seat.
- Trails are suggested to carry kids who are 1 – 6 years of age.
- While there are bike trailers meant for a single child, there are also bike trailers designed to carry two kids at the same time.
- The most common weight limit can range from 75 to 130 pounds.
- Bike trailers offer comfort and safety with straps to hold the child.
- Since bike trailers are fixed low to the ground, they are not usually susceptible to possible injuries caused by falls.
TIPS to choose Best Bike Trailer for Kids
Considering umpteen features in different bike trailers available in the market, it is recommended to re-look at your needs for the moment and see how a bike trailer could be of the best resource to your family. From light-weight trailers with lesser features to high-end all-terrain trailers, there are plenty of options. However, we suggest you go through the following points to get an idea of what to examine before you buy your own trailer.
Having clarity on your budget
What is your budget like? Remember to stretch as per your spending capacity. Every product comes with its own features and related price tag. However, think about why you want to own a bike trailer now. Check your finances before you make a purchase. It is better to go for the product that is affordable and at the same time enjoyable. The list we have laid down in this article encloses a various range of costs based on different bike trailers. Hence, we encourage you to decide carefully.
The more the features, the more value!
The value of the product increases as per the features of the product. The good, better, and best of trailers differ from each other factored by its individual features. As the number of features increases, the cost would go up accordingly.
For instance, hammock-style seating in budget trailers does not offer much support as it sags in the middle. But with a bench-style seat on higher-end trailers, there is a higher level of safety and comfort for those little riders. Howbeit, if you can’t afford it now, you could certainly upgrade it later with your existing trailer.
Selection of the right size trailer is essential
The size of the bike trailer varies from one brand to the brand. Size usually depends on various factors such as the internal dimensions including the amount of space your child has within the trailer, be it single or double seater trailer, and so on.
Storage, Folding, and Transportation
The storage capacity is dependent on the individual’s and/or the family’s preference. Higher-end bike trailers offer excellent(bigger) storage options. Also, ensure the folding is easier and convenient. Check if it can be easily dumped into a car in case you’re off on a far and longer trip. We encourage you to go for foldable models if you have space constraints. It would be smarter to have a bike trailer that can be transported from place to place without hassle.
Check for the external covers
External covers contribute greatly to the safe riding conditions of the trailer. UV resistant and weatherproof covers are of utmost importance, as it provides security and safety for the kids during heavy rainfall, winter and sunny temperatures.
Check for available attachments
Ensure to get the simplest trailer attachment kits that come along with the trailer without any extra cost.
Examine the brakes to see if it functions well. Having an adjustable handlebar would be an advantage.
Kidsbikeadvisor’s Top Bike Trailer Picks for Kids: Single and Double Seat Bike Trailers
Best Single Seat Bike Trailer for Kids
|AFFORDABLE ALLEN SPORTS Deluxe Bike Trailer|
|BEST BUDGETThule Chariot Cross Sport|
|BEST OVERALLBurley Minnow|
|InStep Single Seat|
1. ALLEN SPORTS Deluxe Bike Trailer
This model can transport 1 child weighing up to 50 lb, best known for its safety and comfort.
What you may like the most about Allen Sports Deluxe Bike Trailer:
- Lightweight steel construction with folding design and easy storage facility
- Quick-release 16-inch steel wheels
- Can be converted from bike trailer to a handy stroller
- Protective foot guard
- Padded five-point safety harness to hold your child in place
2. Thule Chariot Cross Sport
This multi-use facility can be used for jogging, skiing, strolling, and biking purposes. It can take only 1 child at a time.
What you may like the most about Thule Chariot Cross Sport Bike Trailer:
- Easy conversion between activities with VersaWing system
- Easy storage and transport facility
- Adjustable leaf-spring suspension facility
- Reclining-Padded seats offer comfort and naps, and it can be easily removable for cleaning purposes
3. Burley Minnow
This 1 Seat Kids Bike Trailer from Burley is one of the best you can find in the market with exceptional value for money and many features.
What you may like the most about Burley Minnow:
- Compact fold – for easy storage and transportation
- 20-inch push button wheels for quick removal
- Five-point harness system
- UV protection
- Full internal aluminum roll cage – safeguard against accidents
- Wheel guards
- Includes tow arm, hitch, and safety flag making the bike ready to ride
- Water-resistant 600D polyester cover and seat fabric
4. InStep Single Seat
This versatile lightweight bike trailer attaches to most bicycles, designed to take up to 40 pounds weight.
What you may like the most about InStep:
- 2 in 1 canopy includes a bug screen and weather shield
- Folding frame design with quick release wheel; for convenient storage and transportation
- 16-inch air-filled stylish pneumatic tires with molded rims
- The carrier comes in blue, red and green colors
- The harness inside helps keep your kids seated securely
Best Double Seat Bike Trailer for Kids
1. Burley D’Lite
Burley D’Lite offers brilliantly designed features in this bike trailer for kids including all conversion kits to ensure safety and comfort for your kids. Although this is a high-end pick, it features some amazing conversion options and quality for money.
What you may like the most about Burley D’Lite:
- 5-position, adjustable suspension
- Premium seat pads and headrests; easier to remove and wash
- 3-position recline for enhanced seating customization and adjustments
- All parts can be replaced for at least 5 years
- Lightweight and strong aluminum roll cage and frame
- Full-length UV windows for protected panoramic viewing
2. Thule Chariot Cheetah XT Multisport Trailer
This 2-seater bike trailer offers best-selling features meant for perfect family outings.
What you may like the most about Thule Chariot Cheetah XT Multisport Trailer:
- Easy to use with lightweight material
- HeightRight adjustable handlebar
- Aerodynamic and intuitive design with multi-sport capabilities
- Reflective material with front and rear reflectors.
- It comes with both Biking and strolling kits
3. Hamax Outback Multi-Sport Child Bike Trailer
This versatile lightweight aluminum-framed trailer can be used for multi-sport purposes. Hamax offers this exceptional machine best suited for families.
What you may like the most about Hamax Outback Multi-Sport Child Bike Trailer:
- ATSM Safety-certified
- Includes bike kit and stroller kit
- Padded 5-point safety harness
- Reflectors and reflective materials for greater visibility
- Durable frame designed for rollover protection
- Adjustable suspension and seats
- Wide UV-protected windows
- Water-resistant fabric with built-in ventilation
- Easy-fold design, fantastic interior features, a spacious storage facility for personal items and kits; and room for foot
4. Schwinn Joyrider Double Bicycle Trailer
This 2-seater aluminum/steel-framed construction is a safe bet for kids and can be attached to any bike out there. It is undoubtedly a perfect fit for family vacations.
What you may like the most about Schwinn Joyrider Double Bicycle Trailer:
- 2-in-1 canopy, a bug screen, and a weather shield
- Lightweight, easily collapsible folding frame
- 20-inch quick-release wheels
- Easy to be assembled
- Compact storage capacity
5. Allen Sports Deluxe Steel Child Trailer
This steel-constructed 2-kids bike trailer is meant for children aged 1-5 years. It can take up to 100lbs and can be attached to most bicycles. Allen’s bike trailer for kids is highly recommended for family-oriented cyclists
What you may like the most:
- It features a rain shield, safety harness, safety flag, large side, and front windows
- Has double seats which are well padded and shock absorbent.
- Meets ASTM standard
- Rear compartment for storage and helmet
- Folding design and quick-release wheels
6. Clevr 2 Seat Double Bicycle Trailer
This 3-in-1 design can be used as a bike trailer, stroller, and jogger. This bike trailer can be used for children who are 18 months plus. It is compatible with most bikes. This two-seater trailer can take up to 88 lbs of weight.
What you may like the most about Clevr 2 Seat Double Bicycle Trailer:
- It has a removable front wheel.
- It can be disassembled to fold flat for storage and transportation purposes.
- It includes a universal bike hitch to the rear axle.
- The trailer stays upright even if the bike tips over.
- It has a rain cover(Velcro material), four-sided reflectors for additional safety.
- Double seat with two sets of seat belts
7. Thule Cadence Two Child Carrier
This model from Thule is one of the best two child bike trailers you can find in the market.
What you may like the most about Thule Cadence Two-Child Carrier:
- Available with a range of accessories with bike trailer kit
- Easy folding for storage and transporting
- There is additional storage space for hauling
- Secure attachment facility to bike
8. Burley Bee
Burley Bee features this nimble and perfect trailer for daily excursions and explorations with safety and durability. A fabulous 2-seater kit for your children.
What you may like the most about Burley Bee:
- Easy storage and transportation
- Includes tow arm, hitch, and a neon orange safety flag
- 20-inch push button wheels for quick release
- Rear window ventilation
- Rear cargo space
- Hammock style seat
- Five-point harness system
- Reflectors at the back and front of the trailer
9. COPILOT Bicycle Trailer
This 2-seater convertible trailer can take up to 100 lbs weight. Copilot features this sturdy 20-inch-wheels bike trailer best known to prevent kids from being squished during a ride and provide safety.
What you may like the most about Copilot:
- The storage area can accommodate all your gear, along with getting quickly flattened for easy storage and transportation purposes.
- The quick-release mount attaches to the disc brake
- Durable Steel frame and 20-inch wheels with inflatable tires.
- Padded and sturdy seat
- 5-point harness
- Reflective material for high visibility
- It can be converted to a stroller
Regardless of the type of bike trailer you choose, it is good to remember that you will be doing the towing job. Yes, imagine towing the entire weight of the trailer in addition to the weight of your children (or child). Thus, it is important to consider how you and your kids will use the trailer, more than just buying it.
With all of this information at your fingertips, we hope you’ll find the best-tailored bike trailer to match your budget and needs.
We appreciate your time in reading this article.
If you would like reading our other articles on Kids Bikes, visit the link below: