Wheeled sports are exciting and energizing. But there are chances of children landing at emergency wards, caused by bike sports. The most susceptible part of the body could be the head or the knee or the elbow or wrists or hands. Besides, injuries or fractures can vary depending on the intensity of the fall.
Hence, parents have a greater responsibility to protect their little ones from such incidents. One of the best ways to provide safety is to equip your kids with body protection gear such as helmets, elbow pads, knees pads, hand gloves, etc., while they’re on wheels.
What can families do to protect kids? Here are a few hints for parents and guardians:
- There is nothing like riding along with your children. At least, until they are on their own, it is better to be with them to watch over them, impart safety lessons and monitor their initial ways around the wheels. They need much guidance and practice before they ride safely on their own. Besides, by doing this, you are fueling family bonding with your kids and giving them sufficient quality time. In addition, you can set an example by showing how to use protective gear by wearing your own set while you ride with them.
- It would be nice if children use bike lanes or bike pathways whenever they should. It is better if they ride on the sidewalk. Mostly, safe places are recommended. Mounting a bell on their bike is an excellent idea to let them alert pedestrians on their way.
- Better your child’s visibility. Bright-colored clothing or biking accessories would be a brilliant idea, especially when kids ride at dark hours of the day. Encourage kids to use reflectors on their clothes. A safety flag attached to their bike would be another outstanding way to enhance their visibility.
- Encourage your children to wear a helmet before hopping on the wheels, because it is protective. It prevents head injuries and even death to an extent.
- Encourage your children to wear knees and elbows pad and hand gloves. It prevents them from scratches, fractures, deep cuts, and bruises.
- Check if their bikes are in working condition, on a regular basis. For example, tire pressure, chain, brakes, handlebar, etc.
- With regard to traffic, it is advisable for kids to follow the road rules. They should ride in the same direction as the traffic goes. Preferably, on the right-hand side (or as per rules). It is better for kids to use hand signals, and move in congruence with the straight-line order instead of veering between other bigger vehicles.
The body protective gear is meant to cover the vital parts of the bike rider’s body. The most known protective gear for bike riders are:
- Knee and elbow pads
- Hand gloves
One of the best and the most recommended protective body gears for kids is the helmet. Helmets are used for riding a bicycle, roller-skating, skateboarding, inline skating, and rollerblading. It is important to have your child try the sizes of the helmet in real before you buy it online.
We’ve taken the time to list some of the best helmets available in the market for your children.
Below listed are our top recommended Helmet brands for kids
|BEST OVERALLSchwinn Infant Bike Helmet
|BEST BUDGETJoovy Noodle Helmet XS-S
|AFFORDABLEOuwoer Kids Bike Helmet
|Dostar Kids Bike Helmet
|LANOVAGEAR Kids Bike Helmet
|Schwinn Thrasher Helmet
1. Schwinn Infant Bike Helmet
- Suggested for children up to 3 years old. Head circumference 44-50cm.
- Adjustable dial fit offers 360-degree adjustability for the perfect custom fit.
- Lower molded shell adds durability and extra protection in the rear.
- The ultra-lightweight vented design provides maximum ventilation for hot summer rides.
2. Joovy Noodle Helmet XS-S
- X-Small – Small : head 18.5 – 20.5 inches.
- Small – Medium: head 20.5 – 22 inches.
- 14 air vents with integrated bug mesh in the front vents.
- Extended visor for maximum protection, nylon straps, pinch guard chin strap.
- Adjustable fit dial – turn right to tighten and left to loosen.
3. Ouwoer Kids Bike Helmet
Crank adjustment dial in the back of the helmet and chin straps is adjustable from 360 degrees to suit the user comfortably. The chin straps are smooth, there is no longer any fear that the straps will scratch the sensitive skin of children. Buckle straps fasten and release quickly.
The interior padding system, 2 sets of interchangeable pads of different thicknesses (5 mm and 8 mm), provides effective shock absorption and sweat absorption, keeping you cool while wearing. The pads are removable for cleaning, keeping you away from the bacteria and the smell. Please only use mild water and soap for cleaning.
- Complies with standards of CPSC and EN 1078.
- ABS shell resists impact and high-quality EPS foam provides shock-absorbing.
- 11 top and side vents keep the user cool and comfortable.
- Suitable for various outdoor sports such as cycling, skateboarding, and so on.
- Fully adjustable, provided by the crank adjustment dial, 2 sets of pads with different thickness, and length-adjustable chin straps.
4. Ouwoer Kids Bike Helmet
- Comfortable fit for 3-8 years old kids.
- Helmet head circumference: 48-54 cm/18.9-21.26 inches.
- Our cycle helmets use the quality ABS shell, tough and durable EPS foam to protect the head from direct impact and absorb the impact at a reasonable level.
- ADJUSTABLE STRAPS 360° Comfort pairs a dial-adjustable fit system with full-range padding for the perfect customized.
- Appropriate for inline skating /skateboard /riding bikes/ scooters roller blading/ BMX and other extreme sports. bring comprehensive security experience to their head. It is a good choice as the gift for Children’s Day, Christmas, Birthday.
5. LANOVAGEAR Toddler Kids Helmet
- Suitable For: 3-8 years old kids / child / boys / girls
- Head Circumference: 18.9-21in(48-54cm), please according to head circumference choose
- Strong, protective ABS outer shell with a sleek matte finish.
- 11 wide vents to keep you cool no matter what sport you’re doing.
- Adjustable dial on the back of each helmet to ensure a safe and comfortable fit.
- Adjustable straps to ensure the helmet is tight.
- Thick EPS foam liner will provide you with protection to withstand impact keeping safe and protected.
- Meant for multi sport use like aggressive/trick skateboarding, in-line/rollerskating, bicycling, longboarding, & pogoing.
6. Schwinn Thrasher Helmet
- 20 top air vents provide crucial ventilation on hot summer rides.
- Lightweight, three-piece micro-shell enhances durability without weighing you down.
- Adjustable side straps allow you to fine-tune fit and comfort and detachable visor helps reduce glare
- Schwinn 360° comfort pairs a dial-adjustable fit system with full range padding for the perfect customized, comfortable fit.
- This Schwinn thrasher lightweight helmet is designed for adults; suggested age range: 14 years old and up; suggested head circumference: 22.88 to 24.5 inches.
Elbow and Knee Pads
The second most recommended protective body gear for kids is the Knees and elbows pads. Knees and elbows are parts of the body susceptible to dangerous hurts and bruises. Hence, it is advisable to invest in knees and elbows pads for your kids.
Below listed are our top recommended Elbow and Knee Pads brands for kids
|BEST OVERALLStrider - Knee and Elbow Pad
|BEST BUDGETPHZ Knee and Elbow Pads
|AFFORDABLEBOSONER Kids Knee & Elbow Pads
|Mongoose BMX Bike Gel Knee and Elbow Pad Set
|JBM Kids Knee and Elbow Pads
1. Strider – Knee And Elbow Pad
STRIDER Knee and Elbow Pad Collection is an entertaining way to expose your child to safety equipment. Pad collection suits children aged 2 to 5. Velcro straps are easily attached to the knee and elbow pads, and outer shells are made of premium hard plastic to keep the pain of hitting the ground away from the little legs and arms. Those are Strong mats.
- The knee and elbow pads are cushioned and have a hard plastic outer shell to protect those little knees and elbows.
- The hook and loop straps make it easy for your child to gear up for their riding adventures.
- The pads are conveniently washable for easy clean up after a muddy day of riding.
- Strider offers a sense of community that has transformed the experience of learning to ride a bike.
2. PHZ Knee and Elbow Pads
- Made of durable,.ultra soft EVA padded material and rock hard polypropylene plastic that retains its shape after an impact.
- The Protective Gear Set is safe for skateboarding, BMX, inline and roller skating, bicycling, pogoing, scooter, etc, Feel comfortable and safe no matter what action sport you are doing.
- Small suits those whose weight is between 26-65lb.
- Medium suits those whose weight is between 66-110lb.
- Large suits those whose weight is between 110-166lb.
- Each set of knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards features adjustable straps to make it flexible to fit multiple sizes of your knee, elbow and wrist.
3. BOSONER Kids Knee & Elbow Pads
- Adjustable elastic straps for secure, The thickening design will be good protection during sport, Lightweight, ventilated EVA foam provides cool air flow and limits perspiration.
- Wrist pads fix wrists and protect the soft tissues.
- Made of PVC material, lightweight, prevent wrist, elbow, and knee injuries. ventilated EVA foam provides cool air flow and limits perspiration.
- Shock absorbing, safety insurance and stylish design. djustable elastic straps for secure, the thickening desgin will be good protection during sport.Protect your children.
4. Mongoose BMX Bike Gel Knee and Elbow Pad Set
Established in 1974 in a garage in Southern California, Mongoose came into being when founder Skip Hess engineered the MotoMag One wheel to make BMX bikes better with a new rad look. From there, BMX riding turned from an underground hobby into a full-blown trend, with the creative products of Mongoose constantly paving the exciting new direction of the sport.
Throughout the 1980s, Mongoose riders dominated the BMX competition circuit, as the company continued to push the limits of cycling by pioneering the first generation of full-suspension mountain bike frames. Today, Mongoose continues to produce goods that drive riders to scare new boundaries, whether it’s roaring through gnarly mountain trails, stomping tricks in the park, or ruling the urban jungle. Mongoose is synonymous with the pure, unadulterated success that still keeps the party going, from reinventing the wheel to our new line of BMX, mountain, and pavement bikes.
- For children ages 8-14.
- Extremely durable form-fitting pads are comfortable and protective.
- Gel inserts add comfort and extra shock absorption.
- Adjustable straps help you find the perfect custom fit.
- Superior padding provides durable multi-sport protection for knees and elbows for biking, scooting, to skating.
5. JBM Kids Knee and Elbow Pads
- The Premium hard PE plastic outer shell, Polyester Fabric, and soft padding protect against falls on hard surfaces.
- Polyester Fabric used for the pads, Polyester is known as one of the best breathable and elastic choices in the industry, it can allow the user to wear it for long times and it’s washable.
- The set includes 7 pieces Kids Protective Gear Set: 1 Helmet + 2 Elbow pads + 2 knee pads + 2 wrist guards, letting the kids enjoy a happy time without injury.
The third most recommended protective body gear for kids is the hand gloves. Gloves, more than being a comfort-quotient, should be considered as protective gear and care for your child’s hands.
Below listed are our top recommended hand gloves brands for kids
|BEST OVERALL ZippyRooz Toddler & Little Kids Bike
|BEST BUDGETATD Childrens hand gloves
|AFFORDABLELouis Garneau Kids Hand Gloves
| WOOM Bikes USA Children Gloves
|Finger Ten Gloves
|Giro DND Jr II Kids Gloves
|Fox Racing Kids Gloves
1. ZippyRooz Toddler & Little Kids Bike
- Sized for the smallest of Sports Action Heros, from 1 year old up to Children age 8
- Designed to keep your kids comfortable & protected while engaging in their favorite sport.
- Soft thumb material for wiping runny noses. Loops at fingers for easy removal.
- Ideal for multiple sports such as Riding Bicycles, Skateboards, Scooters, Roller Skates, Roller Blades, Balance Boards, etc.
2. ATD Childrens hand gloves
Children love to ride in comfort too! It is silicone lined Fingerless Gloves made of lightweight soft Amara suede which is washable by computer. The gel-palm protects against vibration. For visibility, it has reflective piping. Palm has non-slip print and has two finger tabs for easy removal when swollen or wet. Washable computer.
- Size: Small (0-2T) Medium (2-4) Large (6-8) X-Large (10-12).
- Gel padded in several touchpoints for supreme comfort.
- The Thumb area has an absorbent patch to absorb sweat beads.
- The front has two reflective stripes for safety and visibility.
3. Louis Garneau Kids Hand Gloves
For keeping your hands cool, the Kids Calory Jr Cycling Glove features a perforated palm with Ergo Air ventilation. The leathery material is smooth and easy to wear, and the foam padding softens friction during long rides for less hand fatigue. Includes finger pullers for quick removal and silicone puller at the wrist.
- Features foam padding to soften vibration for reduced hand fatigue during long rides.
- The perforated palm with Ergo Air ventilation keeps your hands cool.
- The leather-like material is soft and comfortable to wear.
- Features proprietary finger pullers for easy removal.
- Silicone puller at the wrist allows for quick and easy removal.
- Children full finger cycling gloves (age: 2-5)
- The outside area of the Gloves consists of stretch lycra material.
- The inside of the gloves is made out of faux leather and does not contain any stitching. This allows for a comfortable overall feel.
- The silicon print provides additional grip and connection with the handlebars.
- Raising the bar for kids bikes – High quality, lightweight, safe and designed specifically for kids by professionals.
5. Finger Ten Gloves
- Perforated Palm and Anti-Slip Gripper Foam Padding for Comfort and Durability.
- Size Small (Age 2-4), Medium (Age 5-7), Large (Age 7-9), XL (Age 9-11).
- High-Quality Materials to Make Your Kid’s Hands Dry and Comfortable While Cycling.
6. Giro DND Jr II Kids Gloves
- Material: [uppers] mesh, [palm] AX Suede.
- Closure: hook-and-loop
- Recommended Use: road, mountain
7. Fox Racing Kids Gloves
- Stretch mesh finger gussets.
- Padded, single layer conductive Clarino palm.
This is not it. There is more information on ‘Hand Gloves’ here:
What else can you do to help your child fend off dangers?
- If your child is not a stunt-boy or a stunt-girl, then it is advisable for them to avoid stunts altogether. What stunts you see on screen isn’t meant for children to try otherwise. Discourage your children to practice any untoward bike behaviors, especially when they are budding on wheels.
- Discern the weather. Not all days are sunny and not all days are rainy either. There are precautions to take when you’re riding in wet weather. Riding during rainy days might need careful and advanced cycling skills your child may not be ready for. In addition, there are specific speed limits to follow when they are riding on rainy days. So, take the required precautions.
- It is better to avoid sending children at night for a fun ride. Even if they insist, then you’ve got to ensure they wear visibility vests (with reflectors) and check if their bikes have lights fitted in it. Also, ensure they follow the road rules even at night.
Bike safety is of utmost need. It should not be taken lightly, especially when it is applicable to younger riders. Preparing your children during their first rides and teaching them basic principles of safe biking would be an unparalleled phase. In order to save you much bigger problems once your kids are already on their way, kidsbikesadvisor encourages you to choose the right protective gear for your kids now.
From the suggested options on helmets, hand gloves, and elbow/knee pads, you should be able to buy the best suitable set for your kids and let them have their best fun along with adequate protection.
Thank you for reading this article, we hope it was of benefit to you.
If you would like reading our other articles on Kids Bikes, visit the link below: